How I helped an entrepreneur offering a new service in the weight management arena clarify how she facilitates clients finding joy in the process.
After many years in a variety of positions in the healthcare community, L had an idea for a new service to offer clients dealing with the challenging lifestyle changes that come with sustaining significant weight loss.
We worked together to craft messaging to answer the question “Why Choose Me?” articulating how her services filled an existing gap in an overcrowded field of offerings.
The weight management arena is over-inundated with marketing hype around a very difficult and challenging topic, but comes up short in helping people find a way to enjoy the experience… in fact, to find joy in the experience. L wanted to show how her personal journey — along with many years of complementary expertise as a teacher, lecturer, advocate, and mentor — allowed her the perspective to empathize with clients on their real-life journey.
How could I help her explain her unique approach to potential clients, while setting the stage around the realities of the challenging long-term work ahead for them?
We started with a series of discussions and exercises around:
- how her perspective was unlike any approach currently on the market, and why this is relevant to potential clients
- the specific and unique benefits clients would receive from working with her, and why these benefits were crucial to their achievement of goals, sustained success, and positive self-image
- the concerns, wariness, and skepticism of her target audience
We focused on her approach to helping clients find joy in the context of the serious work they would commit to in achieving their weight management goals. We were then able to present her advantages in a series of bullet points highlighting four key factors: shared partnership, bold redefinition of perspective, enjoyment of the process, and working with a trusted advisor.
The final step was presenting those identified key advantages as meaningful benefits for her clients.
“I’ve gotten so much out of this! The discussion has been as helpful about next steps in general as it has been about the specifics of my new site.”
During our time working together, we:
- fine-tuned her messaging to directly speak to client concerns
- further clarified how her business and process would work, and how that could be communicated
- developed content for her new website